Quick Guide on Creating a New Student Kit

new student kit - photo of school supplies



Ever get that email 10 minutes before school starts that you're getting a new student?  Or have you realized two weeks after a student has been there that you still haven't entered them into the online reading program you use?

I think we've all been there, I know that I have.  That's why I ended up creating a new student kit.  The kit not only has many of the items I need for the student all in one place, I include a checklist of everything else I need to do for the student.

Here's how I put my kit together:

1.  I started with a poly envelope that was 10" x 13" that I'd bought (from Walmart) years ago.  I'd used them for centers at one time and now they were just sitting around, waiting for a new use.



2.  I gathered all of the items that I would give to the student or add the student's name to that could fit into the envelope.  Some of these items include folders, a spiral notebook, any paper resources the student would need that is usually kept in the two pocket folders, a welcome to our class packet to take home, and a card for our student helper board.



3.  Everything that didn't fit was put on the checklist.  Some of these things include crayons, textbooks, and the jewels that I put student names on for calling on random students.

4.  Then on the checklist I also added all of the other places I needed to add their name to electronically including different lists and online accounts.  I included a place to write their usernames and passwords as I created those accounts for them.  I also included the assessment that I needed to give to the students in order to place them in certain groups.



5.  Then I put it all together into the new student kit.  Now it's easy to grab and go when a new student shows up!





Comments