5 Activities to Help You Review Classroom Expectations and Procedures Throughout the Year

classroom expectations photos with students raising hands


We know that it's important the first week of school to explicitly teach classroom expectations and procedures.  Students can't be expected to follow those expectations if they don't know what they are.  I'm in my 5th year at a PBIS school so it's extra important to be directly teaching those expectations not only in the classroom, but everywhere on the school campus.  

One thing we tend to forget about though, as we're rolling along trying to get through all of that curriculum, is that it's important to go back and review those classroom expectations throughout the year, especially after longer breaks.

I have 5 different activities that I use throughout the year to review our expectations.

1.  Posters

I put students in groups and assign each group one expectation to create a poster for.  The number of expectations you have would decide the number of groups making posters.  Review group expectations before the students begin and make sure they know what kinds of things they need to include on their posters.  

Now you have something to hang up in the classroom to help students remember those expectations.

Posters for reviewing classroom expectations


2. Kahoot

My students love Kahoot.  I try to do one every Friday for some kind of review.  Kahoot is perfect for going over those expectations.  They are easy to create, and once you have created them, you are good to go for any time in the future.  I also love that with anything electronic, there's no need to find somewhere to store it.

Student doing a Kahoot for practicing classroom expectations


3. Quick Draws

Our list of PBIS expectations can be extensive.  There's a lot to review for all of our schoolwide expectations.  One thing I like to do is break it up with quick draws.  After going over the expectations for one place in the school, such as the library, I then have students do a quick draw (1-2 minutes) of one of the expectations that I went over.  This not only helps to reinforce the content, but it gives them a quick break from listening to me talk at them.  Then they share their drawing with their neighbor to give them that chance to talk as well.

Quick draw for reviewing classroom expectations


4.  Walk and Talk

It's hard for students to sit and listen for long periods of time.  I started doing a walk and talk a few years ago.  It's a perfect break for students and gets them talking about the content as well.  I have students stand up.  I play music and they walk around the room as the music plays.  When I pause the music, students need to find a person close to them to be partners with.  Then they talk about whatever topic I give them to discuss, in this case, classroom expectations.  After they get some talk time, I start the music again and they walk around until I pause the music and this time they need to find a new partner.  I once again have them talk about the topic.  I usually do 2-3 rounds of walk and talk.

Students doing a walk and talk to practice classroom expectations


5.  Pictionary/Charades

Who doesn't love a party game?  This is a fun activity that gets kids talking and gets their energy out.  You could either choose one or the other to play or give kids the choice of drawing or acting so they can choose something they feel comfortable with.  Just write the expectations on slips of paper and have the student that's it pick a slip of paper to draw or act out.  You can do this whole class or in small groups.  In small groups, you might have timid students more apt to be willing to draw/act out the expectation.

Using charades for practicing classroom expectations


Find ways to make reviewing those classroom expectations fun and it won't be such a chore for you or the students.  Do you have a way of reviewing expectations that your students enjoy?  Comment below and let me know.

~Jill


Photo of escape room and sign up for email list to get escape room free



Comments